Service Scheduling

I purchased a service agreement when I purchased my DGS 6500 Craftsman garden/lawn tractor. Ive even renewed the agreement several times.

Big mistake. Originally Craftsman was the gold standard in Sears tools, but ever since Sears was bought out by K-Mart the quality and timeliness of the service has declined. I give my last encounter as an example. The first week of May 2017 I had a mower belt brake.

I called to make an appointment and was told the earliest I could get one was on the 25th. I wanted to go take the mower to a local Sears shop, but was told it wouldnt be covered. I explained my problem and asked them to make certain a belt was on the truck when it came so I wouldnt have to wait for parts to be ordered after the next arrival. I was assured it would be.

On the day of the appointment the technician arrived, but didnt have the belt on his truck. It had to be ordered and a new appointment scheduled. The Technician also needed to order additional parts to prevent the belt from braking again. He suggested it would be wise to replace all three mandrel housings, but only two were required for the tractor to work again.

The new appointment was scheduled for the 19th of June. On the 19th he was suppose to arrive between 8 AM and noon. He didnt show because he was too busy with other appointments. He finally arrived around 5:00 PM.

He installed the problem parts, the broken belt and the two outside mandrel housings and pulleys. I was the told the middle mandrel housing and pulley were in good shape. I went out to mow my orchard, but after about ten minutes the middle mandrel housing sheared off. I immediately called Sears again and was told the quickest I could expect a return appointment was on the 7th of July.

I explained how long I had already waited and was told that was be best they could do. I insisted the parts be sent to me in the meantime so I wouldnt have to wait another three weeks for parts to be ordered after the technician arrived on the seventh. After talking to three different individuals I was finally able to convince Sears to mail the parts so they would be available when the technician showed up on 7th. The parts arrived and on the 7th the technician didn't.

I was on the phone, mostly on hold, for over three hours calling back several times because I was disconnected. I couldnt get a straight answer as to why my appointment had been cancelled. I was given two solutions. The first was that I would receive a call on Monday, this was Friday, to reschedule an appointment.

From past experience I knew I would be waiting another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and tried to explain I needed my mower fixed now. The grass in my orchard was now over three feet tall. I asked if I couldnt have a loaner mower. So for the 2nd solution I was told I would need to go to a website and fill out a form to see if I could be reimbursed for renting a mower locally.

I did that, but at the end of filling my out all the information I received the message I would need to wait 30 days for an evaluation. The new Sears is very frustrating to get service. I advise against purchasing a Sears product and certainly against buying a service agreement or warranty.

It seems to me they purposely make it difficult with the hope Ill just take it somewhere else. If it always takes up to thee weeks to make an appointment they should contract with more providers and increase the competition so service can be rendered quicker.

Review about: Sears Home Services Lawn Mower Repair.

Preferred solution: Contract more repairmen and if a repair can't be completed along with all parts within a week supply a loaner until the problem is fixed, especially when a service warranty is in effect..

I didn't like: Run around when trying to get timely service.

Comments