1.3
Service Scheduling
Turnaround Time

The only customer service concept their agents have learned is to listen, and then apologize for the inconveniences.

I'm not prejudice in any way, however, due to the foreign accents I consistently encounter when calling their home service warranty division, I do not have a high degree of confidence that my issues are being totally understood.

As consumers, we not only pay a lot of money for their products, we also pay a lot of money for the extended warranties and home service plans. If we are not getting the service we expect, we should be offered discounts, refunds, or replacements. Neither the customer service reps, nor their supervisors PROACTIVELY offer any type of compensation for the degraded service provided.

So here is our story. In 2008, we bought a high end range $3000 (Kenmore elite slide in 30" convection range 790-46713605). We purchased the extended warranty for home repair/service benefits.

Shortly before the warranty extended, we received a significant amount of marketing calls asking us to renew and extend the warranty. Shortly after finally choosing to extend the warranty, we began receiving error codes and the range was inoperable and we called to schedule an appointment.

The soonest they could come up was appx two weeks, and they failed to show up on the scheduled date and scheduled out another week after that. Then they came out and ordered parts and rescheduled an appt for installation three weeks later. Since this was 2011 appx, I can't remember all the details except that I had to take 4 different days off work and had several calls not returned and went directly to the appliance division at a local Sears store to report the bad service to their manager.

Fast forward to Nov. 2017. When turning the burner off, it would not turn off and actually stayed on high. Only way to turn stove off was to turn it off at the breaker. Same waiting game applies. 10 days for diagnosis appointment, 10 days to wait for parts and installation appointment.

Fast forward to June 2018. Same issue. Burner light indicates you have turned the burner off, yet the burner remains on high. Wait one week for the appointment. Technician missed the appointment window and called one hour after the 4-hour appt. window saying he was on the way. By this time, the range had self corrected itself, and we could not duplicate the problem. However, without hooking up any tools, electric meters, etc. the technician advised the control panel in the back was the issue. (Same part replaced 7 months earlier)

He orders the part and a different technician came out and installed 10 days later at 11:00 am. Three hours later we used the stove for lunch, and again, the burner would not shut off. This time it was the burner on the right side as opposed to the left. I took a picture and texted the mobile phone number of the repair rep at 2:30pm, and left him a voice mail. I thought I would get a quick reply since I used his mobile number. No reply after 2 hours, so I called the Home Service Warranty number at 4:30pm.

Initially I was told they would work to get someone back out to our home and would be confirming within an hour. I waited until 6:30pm then called Home Service Warranty number complaining. Escalated the call to a supervisor who told me the scheduling department was closed and they would not give me a phone number to their 3rd party repair service. They scheduled an appointment to come back out 8 days later. I explained this was unacceptable and I had left the stove on high all afternoon so I could be assured the issue could be duplicated for a repair tech to diagnose when the problem was occurring. I asked for my $80 service deductible charge back, and they refused. This was only because they never thought to proactively offer me any compensation. They only said Sorry, we can not add you to the scheduling calendar for 8 more days. No other resolution offered. They didn't even suggest to turn off the breaker as a safety concern.

I'll be checking consumer reports before signing up for any home appliance warranty services.

Preferred solution: Replace the range and refund the cooktop we just bought that had a crack and wasnt covered.

I didn't like: Inflexibility of customer service and their supervisor.

Comments